This article was clinically reviewed by Haley, FNP.
- FOLX Health provides virtual primary care and gender-affirming care for the LGBTQIA+ community.
- A FOLX clinician can be your primary care provider (PCP), allowing you expert and affirming care, whenever you need it.
- Virtual primary care includes care for a wide range of common issues, from management of chronic conditions such as asthma or diabetes to the things that come up, like a UTI or a cough.
- Getting a FOLX appointment for wellness visits, sick day support, sexual and reproductive health, mental health care, fertility consultations and family planning, and gender-affirming care can be done within a few days.
Comprehensive care that is LGBTQ+-friendly
FOLX clinicians are specialists in the specific health needs within the LGBTQIA+ community (health disparities included). Yet, as leading experts in LGBTQ healthcare, we focus on empowered health care experiences. We make healthcare joyful instead of judgmental.
We see the whole you. We partner with you on the full spectrum of health care needs that can be addressed in a virtual primary care setting. A FOLX clinician can guide your wellness journey, manage chronic health conditions, combat illness on sick days, simplify sexual and reproductive health needs (including STI testing), support your mental health, navigate your family-building journey, and provide expert-led gender-affirming care.
The FOLX difference
Telehealth is a convenient way for some people to get safe, effective medical care.
What can a FOLX clinician help with?
FOLX clinicians provide a wide range of services designed to meet all of your needs, in a way that fits your lifestyle.
FOLX clinicians can see you for:
- Primary care needs, like preventive care, management of chronic conditions, and sick day visits.
- Sexual health, and reproductive health needs, including STI testing and treatment*, PrEP, contraception, UTIs, and yeast infections.
- Mental health management for anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
- Fertility and family planning consultations, counseling, resources, and referrals.
- Gender-affirming care, GAHT (gender-affirming hormone therapy, also known as HRT or hormone replacement therapy), gender-affirming surgical consults, and referrals.
We know the unique needs of LGBTQIA+ individuals, not only professionally, but personally. Thirty-six percent of FOLX clinicians identify as transgender, nonbinary, gender diverse, or two-spirit, and 78% of our clinicians identify as LGBQ. All FOLX clinicians are experts in the most up-to-date practices of LGBTQ healthcare.
Primary care offerings
Telehealth is a convenient way to get safe and effective primary health care. You can still be connected from the comfort of your own space, making it easier to be a partner in your health care decisions.
Common primary care issues we help with:
- Abdominal/GI issues, like IBS or constipation
- Headaches or migraines
- Skin issues like eczema, acne, and psoriasis
- Smoking cessation
- Hair loss
For primary care, FOLX clinicians can help with some mental health issues, like anxiety, depression and insomnia.
Wellness and preventive health care
Can you have a virtual well exam? Yes you can. Your FOLX clinician can discuss your health and wellness goals, in a way that is non-judgemental and affirming. If you need labs ordered, we can help with that, too. We send labs to Quest as needed and can make referrals to any in-person care you need after the exam.
Examples of wellness exam offerings include:
- Well exam or annual physical, via a telehealth exam. If you need an in-person exam done, we can help you find an affirming in-person provider.
Management of mental health issues, like anxiety, depression, and insomnia, can also be done with your FOLX clinician. FOLX can prescribe SSRIs and certain non-controlled mental health medications under primary care services.
Chronic condition management
FOLX clinicians can help manage chronic conditions like allergies, diabetes, hypertension, and thyroid disorders. From headaches to toe fungus, you can follow up with your FOLX clinician via virtual primary care in the comfort of your own home.
Some chronic conditions we manage include:
- Diabetes (Type 2)
- Thyroid disease
- High cholesterol
Illness care and sick day visits
Whether it’s a UTI, cough and cold, or you think you might have COVID-we can help. It’s easy to connect with one of our friendly clinicians to get the care you need to get through feeling ill. If it is a medical emergency, please do call 911, as we are not an urgent care or emergency department. However, for acute back pain, stomach aches, rashes, respiratory infections, UTIs, eye problems, and dental pain-we can help with that.
Other illness care FOLX helps with:
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Yeast infections
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Pink eye
- Cold sores
However, when you need in-person care, we can help refer you to services you need in a setting that is knowledgeable and respectful of diverse gender and sexual identities.
Sexual and reproductive health care
- PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
- Painful menstruation
- STI testing and treatment
- Birth control, including emergency contraception
- BV (bacterial vaginosis)
- UTI (urinary tract infections)
- Yeast infections
- ED (erectile dysfunction) and premature ejaculation
- Low testosterone
- Anorgasmia (inability to orgasm)
- Issues with sex, including painful intercourse/pain with sex
When it comes to STI testing and treatment, FOLX clinicians are here to support you and get you whatever help you need. We will never assume the type of sex you have, the number of partners you have, or your sexuality. Whether you are in a polycule, ENM marriage, LTR, or anything in between, our aim is to partner with you so feel empowered to make the best decisions for your sex life.
We value the importance of queer-centered, sex-positive, and kink-friendly sexual health care. Get sexual health care that is welcoming, compassionate, and empowering at FOLX.
Mental health care
Your mental health matters, FOLX offers therapy and medication management services tailored to the queer and trans experience. We get that minority stress takes its toll on LGBTQIA+ folks. Our mental health providers are compassionate, validating, and aware. Additionally, our evidence-based mental health support and peer support groups offer a sense of community connection through the FOLX Community Platform.
Mental health offerings:
- Medication management
- Talk therapy
For talk therapy and other mental health medication management, we offer mental health services in select states, with more announced all the time.
Some mental health conditions like depression, anxiety and insomnia can be cared for with our primary care providers. If it’s a condition needs a specialist’s touch, we can always make a referral using our FOLX network of affirming mental health specialists.
Fertility and family planning
With a FOLX membership, you gain access to LGBTQIA+ reproductive health care, which includes family planning counseling. We know family building is a lot different when you’re queer. We will guide you through pregnancy options and queer-friendly fertility resources, including:
- Preconception evaluations
- Family building consultations
- Fertility consultations
- Fertility and family planning resources and referrals
Gender-affirming health care
Your FOLX clinician understands the importance of gender-affirming health care. Our clinicians offer hormone replacement therapy for estrogen and testosterone, helping queer, trans, and nonbinary individuals align their bodies with their gender identities and goals. We partner with you to make sure you are on track to getting the care you want and need.
- GAHT (gender-affirming hormone therapy) consults
- Pre and post surgery consults
We also provide referrals to our nationwide network of LGBTQIA+-affirming in-person providers (such as surgeons or fertility services).
Letter writing services
With a FOLX membership, you get access to letter writing services for name and gender marker changes. Our clinicians can also write letters for gender-affirming surgeries or procedures as clinically appropriate. However, we are unable to write surgery clearance letters, that needs to be done by an in-person provider for an exam. (And we are happy to help you find one!) Note: you’ll need to have had a video visit with your clinician to initiate care, but once you’ve done that, you can message your care team to get a letter at any time you need it.
Labs, resources, and referrals
Your FOLX clinician can help you get any labs you need. Clinicians can order labs to Quest or another lab service provider. Your clinician can order labs based on the type of visit you have with them. For example, during a GAHT visit, your clinician can order standard GAHT panels. If you need labs related to other health concerns, you’ll need to schedule a primary care visit first, and then your clinician can order the corresponding labs.
When it comes to resources and referrals, you can either reach out to Member Support or your care team.
- Talk to our Member Navigators via the Help Center, for questions about account management, billing, shipping, lab issues, scheduling, referrals, and letters. For LGBTQ resources, you can reach out to our Member Navigators via the Help Center as well!
- Talk to your care team about any questions about your medications or care with us, via your Athena Patient Portal.
Referrals to LGBTQ+-affirming providers
FOLX offers access to thousands of referrals nationwide. Whether seeking specialized care, gender-affirming surgeries, fertility services, or mental health support, FOLX connects members to a broad range of healthcare professionals with experience working with the LGBTQIA+ community. If indicated, your clinician can connect you with a referral.
How it works
Sign up for a membership in order to schedule your first visit with a FOLX clinician. All members pay $39.99 monthly membership fee (or $299/year).
- Initial visits (30 mins) for all primary care and/or GAHT is $159 for your first visit.
- Follow-up visits (15 mins) for all primary care and/or GAHT is $79 per visit.
- Mental health (if you are seeing a psych NP, not your regular primary care provider) is $199 for the initial visit, $99 per follow up visit.
- Talk therapy is $149 per session.
- You can also use in-network insurance to pay for visits (and labs/meds).
You’ll pay our low-cost cash pay rates for certain medications (GAHT and PrEP), labs, and visits with your clinician and care team. You pay for the services you use (labs, visits, medications) separately from your membership. It’s up to you and your clinician how many things to discuss per visit.
You will pay for your appointment at the time you schedule it. If you miss an appointment, you will not be refunded. If you cancel more than 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment, you will be refunded within 5-10 business days. Should you have any issues, please reach out to our Member Navigators via the Help Center.
What if you loved going to the doctor? A FOLX clinician can make having a PCP (primary care provider) a joyful and affirming experience. Get LGBTQIA+-expert care in illness and in health, on your terms, today.
FOLX does not provide emergency care. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, or any of the following symptoms, seek immediate medical attention or call 911: severe abdominal pain, abdominal pain with fever and vomiting, severe chest pain, chest pain with cardiac history, moderate to severe shortness of breath, significant head trauma, loss of consciousness, confusion, severe weakness, hallucinations, suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts or urges.
FOLX Health is the first digital healthcare company designed by and for the LGBTQIA+ community. Our services include virtual primary care, gender-affirming hormone therapy including estrogen and testosterone (HRT), mental health care, sexual and reproductive health care, preventive care, and fertility consultations. FOLX memberships give you access to LGBTQIA+ expert clinicians, peer support, thousands of LGBTQIA+ resources, and more. Whether you’re lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, gender non-conforming, or nonbinary, you can find LGBTQIA+-specialized health care that helps you meet your wellness goals. FOLX Health is health care that's queer all year. Get all the benefits of becoming a FOLX member and sign up today!