Insurance can be used to cover visits, labs, and medications depending on your insurance plan and coverage. If we're in-network with your plan, you can use your health insurance to help cover the cost of your appointments, paying your typical copays, coinsurance, or deductible (if you haven’t met it). A copay for a virtual primary care visit or a gender-affirming hormone therapy visit typically ranges from $15-$30.
You can also often use your insurance if we order tests or make referrals to specialists or in-person care you might need after your virtual care visit. Health insurance can also help with costs for most prescription medications (whether or not your health insurance is in-network with FOLX).
FOLX accepts insurance from the following at this time:
- Blue Shield of California (BSC)
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX)
- Optum: Behavioral Health service in Colorado and Florida
- Evernorth (part of Cigna): Behavioral Health services in Florida
We are continuously adding more insurance providers, so keep in touch with our newsletter and we’ll tell you when we add new insurance companies.
Members receiving medications will have them prescribed based on their unique care plans. For example, some prescriptions, such as for a UTI or STI will be for a short course and will not come with refills. Others, such as for gender affirming hormone therapy will be prescribed three months of medication at a time and your clinician can continue to write you refills as long as you’d like to remain a member.
Members receiving gender affirming hormone therapy can pay FOLX directly for their prescriptions if you use our partner pharmacy to ship your medications directly to you. All other prescriptions can be sent to a pharmacy of your choice, and you can use your insurance or pay the pharmacy directly for your medications.
FOLX members pay a $39.99 monthly membership fee. If it’s your first time signing up, you’ll have access to a 10 day free trial! As a FOLX member, you get access to our LGBTQIA+ expert clinicians and so much more.
- Book and see a clinician within a few days for gender-affirming care, virtual primary care and preventive care, sexual health care (including reproductive health), mental health and more.
- Message with our team of nurses, medical assistants, and Member Navigators, who can help you with any questions you may have or resources you might need.
- Get support finding affirming in-person care, like gender-affirming surgeons, OB GYNs, therapists, fertility services, or even electrolysis centers, barbers, LGBTQ centers, housing resources and any need that comes up.
- Explore the FOLX Community Platform, where you can find tons of resources and join discussions with fellow community members.
- Join a peer-led support group to allow you to connect on a more personal level.
- Get letters for surgery from a medical provider or name and gender marker changes.